Purpose of Document Line Approval Rules:
The document line approval process allows select members of your organization to approve lines of information from within documents, thus enhancing an automated workflow process that can narrow in on the most precise data while keeping general documents and information flowing. Line item approvals make it possible for an action to be taken on different line items of an document or journal line.. With the automation of these approvals, your organization will continue to operate even while waiting for approvals of single data objects or lines from within documents.
Key Uses of Document Approval Rules:
Once setup and implemented, line item approvals will help with:
- Getting the right data to the correct User or User Group, Typically these would be routed to program, fund, department managers, etc.
- Once all lines are approved, then the entire document will be forwarded for approval based on Document Approvals (if any).
- Approval Process – the method your organization uses to approve anything from documents (ie.g. invoices, and purchase orders). Automating approvals is an excellent way to eliminate inefficient paper-based approvals..
Document Line Approval Rule Card
To access the Document approval card, go to the Business Rules menu item and select Document Line Approvals. You’ll be taken to a page that lists the rules you set for approving:
- Purchase Orders
- Credit Memos
- Purchase Quotes
- Or any document you specify in your organizational setup.
You can also setup Approval by data objects like bank accounts, department codes, event codes and so on.
Your Document Line Approval is based on tiered amounts that you set up in your Document Line Approval Card. You will also set up document approvals to route to the appropriate person/group:
- Workflow User Groups
- Approver ID
- Fund Manager
- Dimension Manager
The Document Line Approval Card has two tabs:
- General Tab or the basic information that allows Fundamentals to recognize that a business rule is being applied to a document.
- Approval Rule Details where you set up which document will be handled according to which rules.
When setting up a new rule (+new in the action bar) on the General tab, the first field is marked by a red Asterix (*) to indicate that the Number is a required field and you cannot continue without that field being filled in. There is also an on/off toggle switch that will allow you to turn your validation on or off manually.
The Approval Rule Details tab asks you to create the data that your system is looking for. In the left column you’ll specify a Filter Column name to use (there is a drop-down menu that reveals appropriate column names to choose from). Once the Filter column name is selected you can scroll to the right and select the precise name to use in your selection process, again using a drop-down list to support your work.
The second column (on the right of the Approval Rules tab) tells Fundamentals how to handle your selected data. As always, the labels above the columns have pop-up help tips to assist in filling in the form correctly.
You can set up multiple lines of selections to build either sequential or parallel searches and approvals.